Wyoming Ranch: Encampment, Wyoming-A Bar A Ranch
Fly in/out: Denver International Airport (DIA)
Recommended ages: 3 and up
Ball Park Price: $3,000/person for up to four travellers (airfare not included)
Best Season: June-September
DAY ONE: Fly into Denver International Airport (DIA), pick up rental car and drive 4 hours and check in at A Bar A. (Alternatively, fly into Cheyenne, Wyoming – 2 hours or new private paved airstrip at A Bar A.)
DAY TWO: Meet the staff at A Bar A and set out to the stables to meet one of the 100 plus horses. Take the first morning ride. Spend afternoon signing up and exploring the children’s program. Organized frisbee, soccer, board games, arts and crafts, archery and skeet shooting are just some of the activities. Enjoy an evening campfire.
DAY THREE: Take a morning horseback ride. Go fly fishing and take a fly fishing lesson. Enjoy an open fire lunch and dinner.
DAY FOUR: Take a morning horseback riding lesson. Explore the ranch on a guided hike. Have fun and take an afternoon swim in the heated pool or enjoy an afternoon float in an inner tube down the Platte River.
DAY FIVE & SIX: Take a guided horseback riding ride with an experienced wrangler. Enjoy afternoon picnic lunch by the creek. Enjoy an evening in the Green Room with night time entertainment.
DAY SEVEN: Head back to Denver and stop at alpine slide at Winter Park Resort (Don’t let the name fool you). Check in to Winter Park Resort Lodging, the Zephyr Mountain Lodge.
- In the heart of southern Wyoming’s lies the A Bar A Guest Ranch. It is one of the oldest guest ranches in the country and one of the largest. With nearly 100,000 acres to explore along the banks of the North Platte River, the wilderness provides a wonderful opportunity for the whole family to escape.
- With a hundred miles of riding trails, the ranch caters to all riders from beginners to experts. This allows the whole family to find the right challenge to foster their love of horseback riding.
- The children’s programming is available from age 3-12 and offers a tremendous amount of activities for the kids to enjoy throughout the day. A sense of independence is fostered at this ranch where multitude of activities both guided and unguided are available.
- The staff throughout A Bar A are exceptional with kids and we never needed to worry about them. Our kids made themselves at home every year on the ranch.
- We thoroughly enjoyed Medicine Bow Mountainside riding on our own as a family or on a guided tour with a wrangler.
- All the kids caught something on our fly-fishing adventures!
Places to stay
Three guest houses and sixteen cabins are available to families with a comfortable western decor. Be aware, no TVs and phones in the room although wireless internet is available. This does help the family stay unplugged.
You never feel like you’re sacrificing luxury dining on the A Bar A ranch. The food is prepared by a gourmet chef on a daily basis featuring organic produce and naturally raised meats. It is one of our favorite parts of the ranch. It also features an amazing wine cellar!
- No horseback riding experience necessary. The ranch works with every level of experience.
- Bring your own tennis racquet, golf clubs, riding boots, cowboy hat and water shoes to take full advantage of the activities offered at A Bar A.
- The temperature range can vary by 40 degrees in one day. Bring many layers and comfortable fleece for the evenings.
Take a look at a recent comparison of Dude Ranches by Fox News Travel.