Fly in/out: Kahului Airport, Maui
Recommended ages: 5 and up
Ball Park Price: $1,550/person for 4 travelers (airfare not included)
Best Season: Whale watching season is December-April, July and August for best deals
DAY ONE: Fly into LAX on American Airlines, stay overnight at airport hotel and depart for Maui next morning.
DAY TWO: (Point A) Arrive in Maui, Kahului Airport, (OGG) rent car and stop at Mama’s Fish House on the way to hotel. Take 27 mile beautiful drive to Marriott Maui’s Ocean Club-Lahaina & Napili Towers. (Point B)
DAY SIX: Snorkel and Boogie Board at Ka’anapali Beach and cliff diving off Black Rock.
DAY SEVEN: Fly home stopping in Los Angeles overnight to not miss a night’s sleep.
- We like the area of Lahaina, West Maui, best for it’s sunnier and drier climate than other parts of the island.
- With easy roads and a smaller island, there are so many beautiful spots to stop and snorkel, relax and walk on a beach and take a hike in many parts of Maui.
- The Road to Hana is a 60 + mile of highway carving a path between ocean and cliffs. It’s a long driving journey not a destination. Although you can take a tour, there are great maps and signs to journey on your own if you like to travel independently. For detailed information visit: The Road to Hana
- We love the tour companies we booked for surfing and sailing/snorkeling. The snorkeling tour can double as a whale watching tour if you are in season.
- Although a splurge, we love this traditional and authentic Luau for a fabulous evening.
- The Molokini Snorkel Cruise can double as a whale watching tour if in season. Trilogy company offers wonderful reasonably priced and high quality tours.
- Surfing: Goofy Foot offers great surfing instructors and picture packages. Do yourself a favor, and get the whole family involved!
- The long day driving the Road to Hana is breathtaking. Bring your own map, CD and lunch.
Places to stay
You don’t have to have a timeshare to get a villa at Marriott Vacation Club. The rooms are reasonably priced especially in the off season. They have spacious 2 and 3 bedroom villas for families.
Other recommended 2-3 bedroom reasonably priced family options: Honua Kai Resort
- We opt to stay overnight in Los Angeles, CA for easier time zone adjustment and not to miss a night’s sleep. This helps with younger kids.
- There are some great cost savings associated with staying at a villa. We would eat breakfasts and pack lunches for many days to avoid large restaurant bills.
- Prepare well for Road to Hana. Fill up your gas tank! Start early and see The Road to Hana for complete details on what to bring. Remember, you can turn around at Hani or take the loop but the loop is a white knuckle drive at night.
- If you choose to surf, purchase the picture package through Goofy Foot. They put together a family picture package that was priceless.
- If you have your own mask and snorkel, bring those along. And a boogie board too! If not, rent cheap at Snorkel Bob. There are many snorkeling beaches that you can just stop along the way on your free days.