Caribbean: Grand Cayman Islands
Fly in/out: Grand Cayman (ORIA)
Recommended ages: 3 and up
Ball Park Price: $1,800 /person for 5 travellers (airfare not included)
Currency The Cayman Islands dollar
DAY ONE: Fly American Airlines to Owen Roberts International Airport (ORIA), Grand Cayman Islands. Pick up rental car. Check into The Meridian.
DAY TWO: Explore Seven Mile Beach and Georgetown.
DAY THREE: Take a full day tour with Cayman Private tours to Stingray City and snorkel coral reefs.
DAY FOUR: Visit the turtle farm in the a.m. for a 2 hour visit. Lay back on the beach in the afternoon.
DAY SIX: Take a 2-3 catamaran tour on seven mile beach and snorkel.
DAY SEVEN: Depart for home.
- Grand Cayman provided a warm Caribbean vacation that we had always envisioned. It’s our favorite Caribbean destination.
- Stingray City, a sandbar in the middle of the ocean is teeming with stingrays. It really is surreal to have so many stingrays swimming around your legs. Taking a tour with Cayman Private Tours was ideal because they timed our visit around the
cruise ships so it wasn’t terribly crowded.
- Water sports at Rum Point was a beautiful area of Grand Cayman on the North coast. Less crowded when we were there and a full day of beach fun.
- Cayman Turtle Farm always gets mixed reviews because of the condition of the turtle farm. However, our younger kids loved this experience in holding and viewing thousands of turtles.
- Stingray City teeming with stingrays. Very memorable for kids.
- Turtle Farm
- Water sports at Rum Point Beach.
Places to stay
Meridian Villas were so nice for a family of 5. The 2-3 bedroom villas with kitchen allowed us the space we needed for a great spring break. The villas are located in the heart of Seven Mile Beach. With pool, beautiful beach and away from cruise ship crowds.
Many outdoor family friendly restaurants abound in Georgetown.
- Bring your own snorkel gear; fins, mask, snorkel for the smaller children as snorkeling is a major event in Grand Cayman and it’s best to have it sized right. We started practicing snorkeling with our younger ones in the bathtub at home.
- Bring a loaded beach bag with beach towels, hair conditioners (for after snorkeling) and lots of sun block on your boating days. There was always lots of sun.
- Not sure if a rental car is necessary if you’re planning to stay in Georgetown. There are many tour companies available to give you a fun view of the island including Cayman Safaris.
American citizens entering the Cayman Islands will require a valid passport.